As I've mentioned before, my sites are hosted by Bluehost who so far I've had mostly great things to say about.
However, today I went to visit one of my websites, which happens to run drupal in a Multisite Installation, and the none of the CSS/images loaded, leaving my website looking like something from 1992.
Initially I thought it must be some kind of caching problem with drupal, but that wasn't the case. I checked the links to the images and they weren't working. So the next step was to check the error logs. I saw an error message stating:
.htaccess: Option FollowSymLinks not allowed here,
However, I really need FollowSymLinks to work or else my sites won't function, since the drupal multisite setup requires them.
So I went to the bluehost forums to see if something recently had changed, but couldn't find any information there. I saw that others had mentioned using the Live Chat system, so I figured I'd give it a chance.
Amazingly I got a response (after waiting about 10 minutes). Still though, I'm very happy with the response time considering it was a few minutes after midnight when I opened the Live Chat link. Immediately the support technician let me know that they had disabled FollowSymlinks in favor of +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch because of some security vulnerabilities with the old method.
Turns out all I needed to do was swap out all occurrences of +FollowSymlinks in my .htaccess files with +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch, and everything worked just fine again.
So in the end I'd say Bluehost came through, given I was able to get support in a reasonable amount of time, and an easy fix was given.
However, I'm a bit upset I never received any email or notice that they would be making this change. If I had any reasonably high profile websites I would be pretty upset if they were down for several hours (as these sites probably were). Luckily I decided to check one of them before bed.
So if you are running a drupal with a multisite installation, you'll want to do the same thing.
== Update ==
More info on the subject here:
It looks like I'm not the only one who had a problem.